OA Unit of Excellence
The Order of the Arrow Unit of Excellence Award seeks to identify those units, and the leaders within them, who excel at incorporating the OA into their annual planning. This award is intended to provide a tool for lodges to recognize, incentivize, and operationalize unit-level participation in Order of the Arrow programs.
The OA Unit of Excellence Award criteria recognize units that invite the lodge to conduct quality unit elections, participate in lodge events and meetings, and operate a complete OA Troop/Team Representative program. Our hope is that units that complete these criteria will benefit from the support programs that the Order of the Arrow has implemented to strengthen unit-delivered program. This recognition program, along with other tools for unit support, should be distributed and promoted to Scoutmaster/Coach, OA Troop/Team Representatives and Advisers, and chapter election teams to include in communication to units.
Order of the Arrow Unit of Excellence Award:
1. Leadership: Implement the Troop/Team OA Representative and Troop/Team OA Representative Adviser (Assistant Scoutmaster or Assistant Coach Designee) programs in your unit.
- Every six months, ensure that the senior youth leader in the unit appoints or reappoints one Scout to serve as OA Unit Representative and the Unit Leader appoints one adult to serve as OA Representative Adviser.
- Feature an annual presentation at a Court of Honor by the Troop/Team OA Representative on the Order of the Arrow with a focus on the accomplishments of unit members.
- Promote lodge events and provide transportation to all Arrowmen wishing to participate.
- At least 50% of unit OA members attend at least one lodge event in addition to their Ordeal.
3. Elections: Schedule a unit election with the chapter election team annually.
- Hold an election and have 70% of elected Scouts complete their Ordeal.
4. Planning: Maintain an active planning process that prevents overlap between lodge and chapter events with unit events.
- Review the local OA calendar with the Youth Leadership during annual unit program planning and schedule unit events so that unit programs do not overlap with any full-lodge events.
5. Activation: Demonstrate the depth of your unit’s OA program through active participation in OA events.
- At least 33% of Unit's Arrowmen attend an OA event following their induction into the OA.
** Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 are determined utilizing inputs in OALM, which will be the only governing authority for these items **
** If you have questions about your Unit's status, please contact your Chapter Leadership or the Lodge Adviser **
Certificates and Patches are available for Scoutmasters, Troop Representatives and OA Assistant Scoutmasters.
The amount of * following a Unit indicates number of consecutive years earning Unit of Excellence.
Congratulations to the following Units for achieving the
Order of the Arrow Unit of Excellence Award in 2021!
The following Units achieved the Unit of Excellence in 2020!